Posted by Nick Sieger Sat, 31 May 2008 23:42:00 GMT
If you already saw my JavaOne slides, these aren’t too different, but I think they’re better and prettier, too.
Update. The slides are pretty lean on explanation. Just in case you’re confused, the narrative goes like this:
- What’s your deployment nirvana look like? (various existing options)
- With JRuby, you can deploy Rails applications in a single operating system process instead of many.
- However, there are a few configuration changes needed to accomodate JRuby. (Steps for converting existing apps, configuration code snippets.)
- Now, JRuby-Rack helps with the configuration, because all of the logging/session/public path re-jiggering is taken care of for you. It’s now bundled with Warbler as of version 0.9.9.
- Performance is good and getting better. You can scale up the number of requests you can handle really easily just by setting the number of runtimes to create inside Warbler’s
- Lots of new stuff is happening right now to make Rails better. JRuby will be able to leverage these changes and become an even more desirable deployment platform. Stay tuned!